Saturday, May 02, 2009

5 months.

The babies were 5 months old a week ago today. They are growing way too fast for me.



Finley rolled over last week for the first time. From his tummy to his back. It was so fun to watch. He was having some tummy time and all the sudden he just flipped over, like he'd been doing it all his life, no problem! I put him back on his tummy and he did it again!

Scout isn't rolling over yet. But she will, in her own time. She gets halfway from her back to her tummy, but that darn tummy, so hard to get over!!! :P

Scout has been so content lately. Just way more laid back. The other night she slept from midnight until probably like 7:45 am. I had checked on her at 7:30 and she was still sleeping. I was in shock. I went back in at 8 and there she was laying wide eyed looking around and smiling. I couldn't believe she wasn't screaming to eat!!! Especially when there used to be times she would have eaten an hour before, but the way she'd scream to eat, you'd think I hadn't fed her in days! That night was the longest stretch of sleep by far for her. Most nights I am still up every 2 hours or so.

Finley has been the more fussy one still. I think he is going through a little growth spurt (and I think he is teething too). He's been eating way more than Scout lately, and when they do get a formula bottle at night, he eats way more of it than she does. Maybe he's sick of us calling him the peanut.

Neither of the babies are consistently sleeping through the night. They'll each do it once in a while, but they never seem to coordinate it on the same nights!!!

They have developed all these cute little personality traits of their own.

Scout has this new little trick of pursing her lips and making a kissing noise, and Fin does this cute thing where he smacks his lips together and them blows raspberries. He'll entertain himself with that for a while.

Scout has this fake little cough that she does too, and she shrugs her shoulders when she "talks".

Oh and I love this one, Scout puts her hand on the back of her head when she nurses. It is so cute. She'll have her fingers all spread out and have her hand flat to the back of her head. She does it a lot when she sleeps too. I don't know what it is about it, but I love it.

Finley has this cute, but pathetic little cry he does when he's hungry and I have him in my lap and he knows the food is coming but he just can't wait any longer. He gets all frantic and flails his arms all around and has this whimper. I have got to get it on tape, it's so funny.

Scout, on the other hand, as soon as I take her, she opens her mouth wide getting ready. Hey if there is food anywhere near her mouth, I guess she figures she better be ready for it!!! So I'll be trying to undo the nursing bra and she's got her mouth all wide and she's desperately trying to pull herself close enough to latch on....through my shirt half the time if I've not got the boob out quick enough!!!!

Fin has really started sucking his thumb. Scout does too, but not as much as Fin. Sometimes she sucks her 2 fingers. But Finley is always trying to get that thumb in his mouth. He does a good job, he just doesn't know what to do with the rest of the fingers and pokes himself in the eyes a lot!!

Both of them are so easy to get to smile. Finley is a little giggler and Scout always has her mouth wide open with a big smile on her face. Finley loves to play "I'm gonna getcha", he giggles in anticipation even before you "get him". Scout loves to be talked to and she'll squeal and coo back at you.

Both of the babies have really started grabbing for their toys and playing with them. They are much better at entertaining themselves for a little while. I bought these new exersaucers for them that they are really liking. They love hanging out on the butterfly mat and grabbing at the toys on there too.

Both of them are trying to sit up. They don't like to be cradled anymore unless they are tired. They want to be sitting up seeing whats going on, so whenever we lay them back they try their hardest to pull themselves up. And when we sit them on the floor, they can sit for a few seconds, and they definitly try to balance themselves! They are loving their bumbo chairs. Sometimes if I am sitting at the table working on something I'll put them in the bumbo chairs in the middle of the table so they are right at my level and they'll just hang out at watch me!

We've started giving them cereal again. They are much more interested in it now. We tried at 4 months, and they did ok, but it didn't really help them start sleeping through the night better, which the pediatrician said it wouldn't anyway. So we decided to wait a while and try again. All they really need until 6 month is breast milk, and I am in no hurry for them to grow up. So we waited, but now that they are 5 months I thought we'd start again and do cereal about 1x/day.

Finley and Scout are such different little babies. We could tell from day one how different they are. It's so strange, because it's like having Malichi all over again, and Kinzie all over again but at the same time. Finley is so much like Malichi was and Scout is so much like Kinzie was. From the way they look, their personalities, to the way they eat, and they way they cry. It's so strange!





We still call them Frantic Finley and Screaming Scout. Finley is definitly still frantic, but Scout doesn't scream quite so much anymore (although when she does, it is still the piercing 'I AM PISSED' scream she's always had). Some of their other nicknames; the angry monkey and the gentle lion. Scoutsy boo and Finley foo. Mr. Finley. Finners. Ms. bossy boss. Stinkerbell.







I can't believe the next monthly post I do for them will be 6 months!! Half a year already?! It's gone by much to fast.

1 comment:

Kelly Strei said...

I love that picture of Miss Scout in the black & white dress from above.